Area, 25,290 acres. Rydall wapentake. -Population, 1,766 *2; Church-room, 400; Net value, £215. -Three carucates of land in Lastingham were given by William the Conqueror to the Abbey of St. Mary's, in York, and one carucate more by Berenger de Fodenai.
The Church was an ancient Rectory, which was given to the Abbey and Convent of St. Mary's, York, and appropriated thereto, and a Vicarage ordained therein, in 1299.
Mr. Torre does not give the ordination. The first Vicar named in his list was instituted in 1314.
At the Dissolution the patronage came to the Crown, and was designed to have been given, with the Rectory, by King Henry VIII., to the See of York, but by mistake in the grant, the Vicarage is called Spaunton, and therefore the grant did not take effect, and the Crown still presents.
Impropriator, the Archbishop of York.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £16. 13s. 4d.; Nova Tax, £10; Vicaria ejusdem, £13. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £5; and in the King's Books, the Vicarage is valued at £17. 7s. 6d. per annum *3.
An Inclosure Act was passed 27th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1559; the early books are very imperfect.
George Hobson's charity land, one acre. John Hill's rent charge, 17s. per annum. Francis Johnson's rent charge, £1 per annum. John Wawne's rent charge, £1 per annum. William Thorpe's rent charge, 6s. per annum.
The amount of the above is regularly distributed among the poor, prefering such as do not receive parish relief. -Vide 7th Report, page 754.
Post town: Kirkby Moorside.
Torre's MS., page 235. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 93. Nonae Rolls, page 239. Burton's Monasticon, pages 54. 56. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Lestingeham), page 119; (Spantun), 119. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 436. Young's Whitby, page 740. Mon. Angl. vol. i. page 342. Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 115.
*1 Part of the township of Bransdale East Side is in this parish, and part in the township of Kirkby Moorside.
*2 Viz. Appleton le Moors, 269 ; Farndale East Side, 405 ; Farndale High Quarter, 289 ; Hutton le Hole, 276 ; Lastingham, 211; Rosedale West Side, 178; Spaunton, 138. This parish has decreased in Population 68 persons, ascribed to emigration to America.
*3 "The Rector is entitled to the great tithes of the townships of Spawnton and Appleton, and particularly to the great tithes of the demesne lands of the Manor of Spawnton, and although the same were formerly parcel of the Monastery of St. Mary, near the walls of York, and were held with the Rectory of Lastingham, in unity of possession, by the proprietor of the Monastery. -Shepherd v. Hartas." 3 Wood, page 503. >"The demesne lands of the Manor of Spawnton are not tithe free. -Shepherd v. Hartas."
LASTINGHAM MONASTERY. -In Lastingham was anciently a Benedictine Monastery, which was founded by Cedd, Bishop of the East Angles, who died A.D. 664. It was ruined in the Danish wars, probably in 870. Subsequently this Monastery was occupied by an Abbot and Monks from Whitby, from A.D. 1078 to 1088, after which we hear no more respecting it.