Area, 2,670 acres. Pickering Lythe wapentake. Population, 168 ; Church-room, 280; Net value, £120. -An ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Meauxes, of Beswick, then of the Perechays, of Ryton, Knts., till Queen Elizabeth's time, it was afterwards in various hands, and the Etheringtons presented till nearly the end of the seventeenth century. In 1752, Mrs. Wikes presented, and in 1786, Robert Harding, Gent.
Present patron, the Rev. R. Skelton.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £5; Nova Tax, £4; in the King's Books, at £7. 8s.; and in 1818, at £110 per annum.
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, being " very antient and inconvenient ;" and was also returned as " unfit" in 1834.
The Register Books. commence in 1700; chasm 1737 to 1752 inclusive ; also for 1757, 1758, and 1780 to 1785 inclusive. -But Vide transcripts at York.
Entries of baptisms and burials 1653 -1657 are entered in the Pickering Register Book.
Poor's Land. Donor unknown -between four and five acres of woodland. In 1820, the clear sum of £84 was raised by sale of timber, and it was resolved at a vestry meeting, that £2 of the principal, together with interest of the money in hand, should be given to the poor.
Rent charge of £1 per annum. Donor unknown-given among poor widows.
Rent charge of 10s. per annum, out of West Bank. Distributed by the proprietor.
The Free School. Founded by John Poad, by will, dated 10th December 1785. Endowment: rent charge of £11 per annum-twelve free scholars in reading, writing, accounts, and the Church Catechism. -Vide 7th Report, page 738.
Post town: Pickering.
Torre's MS., page 223. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 98. Nonae Rolls, page 239.