Genuki Logo    Loftus Loftus  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: LOFTUS.     Church dedication: ST. LEONARD.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 3,700 acres. Langbarugh liberty, E. D. -Population, 1,038 *1; Church-room, 600; Net value, 457. -This Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Prior and Convent of Guisbrough, to whom it was given by William de Sauncey, and at the Dissolution the patronage came to the crown.

Mr. Graves gives a catalogue of the Rectors.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at 13. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, 8; and in the King's Books, at 10. 11s. per annum ; Synodals and Procurations 7s. 6d. *2

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1697 ; first book ending in 1737 -imperfect.

12th November 1748, faculty to erect a gallery.

4th January 1811, faculty to rebuild the Church.

Charities:
Thomas Woodill's charity, by will, dated 15th November 1735. Rent of a cottage and about five acres and a half of land. The amount is distributed among the poor of Lofthouse and Ugthorpe, in the parish of Lythe.

Ralph Robinson's rent charge of 12s. per annum, for the poor. -Vide 7th Report, page 722.

Post town: Guisbrough.


References:
Torre's MS., page 177. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 162. Nonae Rolls, p. 231. Mon. Angl., vol. ii. page 74 ; vol. vi. page 268. Burton's Monasticon, page 348. Valor Ecc., vol. iii. page 90. Graves' Cleveland, page 341.


Notes:
*1 The return of the Parish of Lofthouse includes the Hamlet of Wapley. This parish has decreased in Population 140 persons, attributed to the depreciated state of alum works, and to emigration to America.

*2 The Valor Ecc. specifies the tithe, mansion, and glebe land. -Page 90. col. 2.

*3 Mr. Graves gives the pedigree of the Beakwiths of Handale Abbey.


Other information:
HANDALE, OR GRENDALE PRIORY *3. -(Parish of Lofthouse.)

Founded A.D. 1133 by Richard de Percy, for Benedictine Nuns. Little of the building remains except the west end of the Chapel.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014