Area, 13,250 acres. Langbarugh Liberty, E.D. - Population, 2,110 *1; Church-room, 700; Net value, £123. -This Church was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Lords Mauley, (or de Malo-laco) of Mulgrave, and was given by Robert Fossard to the Prior of Nostell, and at the Dissolution it appears to have been granted to the Bygods, Knights. Upon the attainder of Sir Francis Bygod, in the reign of King Henry VIII., it came to the hands of that Monarch, who gave it to the Archbishop, and in A.D. 1544, it was, by royal license, appropriated to the See of York, and a Vicarage ordained therein 20th September 1546 *2.
The Vicar is charged by the endowment with the repairs of the glass in the chancel windows.
The Rector is charged with a pension of 24s. to the Prior of Nostell, and 6s. and 8d. to the Archdeacon, for procurations.
Mr. Grayes gives a catalogue of the Vicars.
The Church with its Chapel is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £33. 6s. .8d.; Nova Tax, £13. 6s. 8d.; in the King's Books, the Vicarage is valued at £10. 12s. 6d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 26, (Rectory) it is stated ; " The lease pays the Vicar £16 'per annum ;" and in 1818, at £85 per annum.
Augmented in 1811, with £600; in 1812, with £400; and in 1821, with £400, all from the Parliamentary Grant, -by lot : and in 1834, with £200 and £200, both 'from the same Grant, to meet benefaction of a stipend of £30 per annum from Edward, Lord Archbishop of York.
12th July 1742, faculty to take down two small arches in the Church and erect one large arch instead thereof.
25th April 1788, faculty to erect a gallery.
4th July 1818, faculty to new pew the Church, and to cover it with Westmoreland slate instead of lead.
An Inclosure Act was passed 16th Geo. III. (Mulgrave.)
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1637, Chasm 1643-1653.
Archbishop of York's charity. A customary payment of 34 per annum for the poor is made by the Earl of Mulgrave, as lessee of the tithes from the Archbishop of York.
Michael Hill's rent charge of £2 per annum, devised in 1667. Half of which is for the poor of Ugthorpe, and the other half is for the poor of the rest of the parish.
William Marshall's charity, vide Egton. 2s. per annum is paid for the poor of Ugthorpe.
John Hudson's rent charge, by will, in 1672. 10s. per annum is paid to the poor of Ugthorpe.
John Jowsey's charity, in 1684. rent charge of 10s. per annum to the poor of Ugthorpe.
Cuthbert Hodgson's rent charge, in 1688. 27s. per annum ; viz., 18s. for Ugthorpe poor, and 9s. for Mickleby poor.
Jane Belwood's charity, by will, in 1700. Interest of £40 to the poor of Ugthorpe.
Woodill's charity, vide Lofthouse. -Vide 7th Report, page 723.
Post town: Whitby.
Torre's MS., page 71. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 155. Nonae Rolls, page 231. Ashmolean MS., No. 8487. Burton's Monasticon, pages 74. 306. Valor Ecc., vol. iii. page 90. Graves' Cleveland, page 295. Charlton's Whitby.
*1 Viz. Barnby, 224 ; Burrowby, 68; Ellerby, 64; Hutton Mulgrave, 85; Lythe, 1,116; Mickleby, 170; Newtown Mulgrave, 123; and Ugthorpe, 260. -In 1831, 120 men were employed in alum works. -ln 1834, the Population of the parish was returned at 2,300.
*2 Mr. Graves gives the pedigrees of the Mauleys, Bygods, and Ratcliffes, and the Lords Mulgrave.