|Marske by the Sea|
Area, 3,500 acres. Langbarugh Liberty, E.D. -Population *3; Church-room, 300; Net value, £91. -This Church was an ancient Rectory, and was given by Copsi to the Church of Durham. It afterwards came to Robert de Brus, by whom it was given to the Prior and Convent of Guisbrough, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein.
At the Dissolution the Patronage came to the crown, who presented until Queen Elizabeth's time, when the presentation came to the Pennyman's, Baronets, and afterwards to the Lowthers, Baronets, and in 1790, to the Dundas's, Baronets.
The Earl of Zetland is now the patron, and the Archbishop is impropriator.
Torre gives an endowment made merely for the life of the then Vicar. It is not dated. The first Vicar named in his catalogue, was instituted in 1295. The catalogue is continued by Mr. Graves.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £16. 13s. 4d.; Nova Tax, £9. 6s. 8d.; in the King's Books, the Vicarage is valued at £10. 11s. 10d.; Synodals, 4s.; Procurations, 7s. 6d.; and in 1818, at £72 per annum *4.
Augmented in 1766 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Sir Lawrence Dundas, Bart.; and in 1815, with £800 from the Parliamentary Grant, -by lot.
4th June 1821, faculty granted to rebuild the nave and aisles of the Church.
Inclosure Acts for Marske were passed 28th Geo. II. and 49th Geo. III.
The glebe house was rebuilt by the late Lord Dundas, and is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1570. Deficient 1631, 1638, 1712-other chasms ; the books being imperfect.
In the centre of the town is an ancient cross, erected when the market was removed here, when the plague raged at Guisbrough.
Honourable Catherine Atherton's rent charge, by deed, dated in 1624. £2. 13s. 4d. per annum, half to the poor of Marske, and half to the poor of Redcar.
Marshall's gift. Interest of £60, to the poor of the township of Marske. -Vide 7th Report, page 727.
Post town: Guisbrough.
Torre's MS., page 87. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 149. Nonae Rolls, page 232. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. pages 267-275. Burton's Monasticon, page 349. Valor Ecc., vol. iii. page 90. Graves' Cleveland, page 381.
*1 Redcar Chapel is within this parish, and Wilton was anciently accounted to be so.
*2 St. Germain was one of the French bishops who came over into Britain to oppose the Pelagian heresy.
*3 Viz. Marske, 573 ; Redcar, 729.
*4 The Valor Ecc. specifies the tithes, glebe land, and mansion. -Page 90, col. 1.