Area, 3,430 acres. Langbarugh Liberty, W.D. -Population, 363 *2; Church-room, 176 *3 ; Net value, £122. -This Church was an ancient Rectory, and was given by Robert Sturmi to the Priory of Guisbrough, to which it was appropriated by Walter Gray, and a Vicarage ordained therein.
Torre does not give the date of the endowment. The first Vicar named in his catalogue, was instituted in 1292. Torre's catalogue is continued by Mr. Graves.
Patron and impropriator, the Archbishop of York.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £8. 13s. 4d.; Nova Tax, £5. 6s. 8d.; in the King's Books, the Vicarage is valued at £4. 18s. 8d., after deducting for Synodals 4s., and Procurations 7s. 6d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 36, it is stated : " The Rectory belongs to the Archbishop ;" and in 1818, at £120 per annum *4.
" Endowed with all manner of small tithes and pasturage, hay is impropriated to Mr. Ralph Lowther. An augmentation of £20, by the Archbishop. -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1059.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1572.
Poor's land, ten acres. Rent distributed among the poor at Christmas. -Vide 7th Report, page 727.
Post town: Stockton-upon-Tees.
Torre's MS., page 41. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 145. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. pages 267. 268. 275. Burton's Monasticon, page 349, Graves' Cleveland, page 452.
*1 Mart, or market-town. This is supposed, from the quantity of charred wood found in digging, to have been a town of some importance, but destroyed by the Conqueror.
*2 In 1834, the Population was returned at 363.
*3 Returned at 300 in 1818.
*4 The Valor Ecc. specifies the tithes, glebe land, and mansion. -Page 90, col. 1.