|Marton cum Moxby|
Area, 2,370 acres. Bulmer wapentake, and Ripon Liberty. -Population, 202; Church-room, 80 *2. This Church was given to the Priory of Marton by Bertram de Bulmer, who gave it to the Canons thereof, to which it was appropriated, but no Vicarage was ever ordained therein.
Patron, the Archbishop of York. Valued in 1707, at £15. 10s.; and in 1818, at £52 per annum.
Augmented in 1779, with £200; in 1790, with £200; and in 1800, with £200, -all by lot.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1539.
Poor's Money. Interest of £10, donor unknown. Principal appropriated by the parish in 1819, and 10s. per annum out of the poor's rate is distributed with the sacrament-money.
Lost charity. 6s. a year was formerly paid out of lands belonging to a family named Carrack. Not paid for many years. -Vide 9th Report, page 713.
Post town: Easingwold.
Torre's MS., page 45. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 23, where the Archbishop notices the rights of the Curate.
*1 Or Marton on the Forest.
*2 Estimated in 1818 at 100.
MARTON PRIORY-of Austin Canons, was founded temp. Stephen or Henry II. by Bertram de Bulmer.
Mon Angl. vol. vi. page 197. Burton's Monasticon, pages 265, 266.