GENUKI Home page    Acklam Acklam  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: MIDDLESBROUGH.     Church dedication: ST. HILDA.

Area, 2,300 acres. Langbarugh liberty, W. D. -Population, 383 *1; Church-room, not stated *2 ; Net value, 34. -This Church was given by Robert de Brus, about A.D. 1120, to the Abbot and Convent of Whitby, but upon this condition, that out of the profits of it they should maintain certain Monks to serve God in this Church, so that it was a Cell of the Abbey of Whitby, to which it was appropriated, and no Vicarage was ordained.

The patronage has been in the Hustlers ever since Archbishop Sharp's time.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at 5; in 1707, at 6; and in 1818, at 75. 6s. per annum.

Augmented in 1744, with 200; in 1767, with 200; and in 1786, with 200 -all by lot.

" Sir William Hustler has all the tithe, paying 6 a year for the Cure. Sir William also pays 4, which makes, in the whole, 10." -Not. Paroch. No. 763.

Marriages are not solemnized in this Chapel, but take place at Acklam.

26th May 1730, a faculty was granted to build a Chapel at Newport out of the ruins of Middlesbrough Church, demolished above seventy years preceding. The town of Middlesbrough in 1730 only contained three houses. -It does not appear that this faculty was acted upon.

Middlesbrough is now a rising place, and, through the exertions of Archdeacon Todd, and the parishioners and neighbourhood, a commodious Church is now erecting.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1732. -Vide earlier transcripts at York.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Stockton-upon-Tees.


References:
Not noticed in Torre's MS. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 147. Graves's Cleveland, page 471. Mon. Angl., vol. i. page 409, and vol. iii. page 631. Burton's Monasticon, pages 56. 83, 84.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Linthorpe, 229; and Middlesbrough, 154. An increase of 137 since 1821, attributed to the Stockton and Darlington rail-road terminating near this place. -The Population, in 1834. was returned at 269.

*2 In 1818,600. The Church since taken down ; and in 1834 the return was, "No Church."


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014