Area, 25,450 acres. Pickering Lythe wapentake . -Population, 1,742 *1; Church-room, 450; Net value, £100. -The Church was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Lords Wake, of Lydell, by whom it was given to the Prior and Convent of Kirstall, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 19th December 1456.
At the Dissolution the patronage came to the Crown, from whom it passed into private hands, and for some time it was in the Robinson family.
Present patrons, the Rev. A. Caley, and others.
Impropriators, the Rev. Francis Wrangham, T. Smith, Esq., and others.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £53. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £22. 13s. 4d.; in the King's Books, the Vicarage is valued at £10. 11s. 8d.; and in 1818, at £90 per annum *2.
Augmented in 1769, with £200, to meet benefaction of a rent charge of £6 per annum, from T. Robinson, Esq.; and in 1816, with £400 from the Parliamentary Grant -by lot.
The glebe house returned as " fit for residence, but very small."
The Register Books commence in 1671.
Poor's Land, one acre, also interest of £10, arising from sale of timber ; distributed among the poor not receiving parochial relief.
TOWNSHIP OF WRELTON. William Lownesbrough's charity, by will, dated 9th April 1720. rent charge of 5s. per annum, in bread.
TOWNSHIP OF AISLABY.
John Noble's rent charge of 3s. 4d. per annum, out of Sucker Close, the property of Mrs. Hayes -to the poor. -Vide 7th Report, page 740.
Post town: Pickering.
Torre's MS., page 229. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 97. Nonae Rolls, page 239. Mon. Angl., vol. v. page 526.
*1 Viz. Part of Aislaby, 126 ; Cowthorn, 18 ; Cropton, 330; Hartoft, 142; Lockton, 312; Middleton, 266; Rosedale East Side, 376; Wrelton, 172. In 1834, the Population was returned at 1,364.
*2 There was an unreported decree, as to tithes at Middleton, in the Exchequer in Hilary Term, 10th Car. II., but query what Middleton?