|Myton upon Swale|
Area, 1,480 acres. Bulmer wapentake. -Population, 147 *1; Church-room, 195; Net value, £150. This Church was an ancient Rectory, till it was given to the Abbey and Convent of St. Mary's, York, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein in 1301.
At the Dissolution, the patronage came to the Crown, and was given by King Henry VIII. to the See of York in exchange, and the Archbishops have ever since collated to this Vicarage.
Torre gives no ordination of the Vicarage, but merely a catalogue of Vicars, commencing in 1541.
Impropriator, R. 3. Thompson, Esq.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £10; Nova Tax, £6. 13s. 4d.; the Vicarage at £5; and in the King's books, at £6 per annum.
By an Act passed 27th and 28th Geo. II. (1755), for exchange of lands, all tithes were extinguished : see the particulars in Archbishop Sharp's MS.
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, being " very small and inconvenient for a family ;" and returned as unfit in 1834.
The Register Books commence in 1654.
Glauber's charity. rent charge of 20s. per annum out of closes in Myton, belonging to Martin Stapylton, Esq., and distributed among the poor at Christmas.
William Melmerby's charity, by will, dated 22nd February 1802. Interest of £60, for teaching four poor children to read and say their catechism ; and the testator requested that the minister would hear them repeat the catechism four times a year in the Church. Six children were taught at the time of the Report. -Vide 6th Report, page 604.
Post town: Boroughbridge.
Torre's MS., page 569. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 32. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Mitune), pages 26. 51. 76. Mon. AngL vol. iii. page 570. Nonae Rolls, page 235. Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 87.
*1 In 1834, the population was returned at 185.