Genuki Logo    Pickering Pickering  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: NEWTON.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.     Church type: Peculiar. Perpetual Curacy.

Pickering Lythe wapentake. Population, vide Pickering ; Chapel-room, 200; Net value, vide Pickering.

Patron, vide Pickering.

Not valued in 1707 or 1818.

The Curacy of Newton was augmented in 1735, with 200; in 1764, with 200; in 1786, with 200; in 1810, with 200 from the Parliamentary Grant ; and in 1834, with 200 -all by lot *1.

No return as to glebe house.

Register Books. -No return.

Charity:
Richard Poad's charity -date not given. A tenement occupied rent free by a poor person, not a parish pauper, placed therein by the overseers ; rent of 1a. 2r. of land distributed among the poor ; 7. 10s. per annum to a schoolmaster, for educating and teaching poor folks' children -eight free scholars ; 1s. 6d. per annum to the poor, charged on an old cowhouse and barn. -Vide 7th Report, page 744.

Post town: Pickering.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 743, see composition as to tithes with Rivaulx, Abbey. Abp. Sharp does not mention this Chapel.


Notes:
*1 But query may not this be the Chapelry of Newton in the Deanery of Cleveland ?


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014