Genuki Logo    Normanby Normanby  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: NORMANBY.     Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN.     Church type: Discharged Rectory.

Area, 2,330 acres. Rydall wapentake. -Population, 258 *1; Church-room, 150; Net value, 509. -Three carucates of land in Normanby were given to the Abbey of St. Mary's in York, by William the Conqueror and Hugh Fitz Baldrick.

The Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Abbot and Convent of St. Mary's, York, and remained appropriated, and after the Dissolution it was in the successive patronage of the Ramsdens, Meynells, Bowcocks, and Hills, the latter first presented in 1671.

Present patron, R. Hill, Esq.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at 13. 16s. 8d.; Nova Tax, 4. 10s.; in the King's Books, at 9. 12s. 6d. per annum ; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 35, it is said ; " the Rectory belongs to the Archbishop."

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1699.

Charity:
The School. Founded by Judith Boynton, by will, dated 19th November 1700. rent charge of 6; viz. 5 to a master, for teaching five children reading, writing, arithmetic, and the Church Catechism, and 1 for Bibles. -Vide 7th Report, page 755.

Post town: Kirkby Moorside.


References:
Torre's MS. page 247. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol iii. page 91. Nonae Rolls, page 240. Burton's Monasticon, pages 251. 266. 350. 362. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 256.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Normanby, 219; and Thornton Risebrough, 39.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014