Area, 3,370 acres. Allertonshire and Birdforth wapentakes. -Population, 617 *1; Church-room, 250; Net value, £130.4-This Church was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Bishops of Durham, by whom it was given to the Hospital of St. James at Northallerton, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein.
Torre does not give the Ordination. His first Vicar was instituted in 1282.
At the Dissolution the patronage came to the Crown, and after being some time in private hands, it came to the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, who are now the patrons and impropriators.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £16. 13s. 4d.; Nova Tax, £10; in the King's Books, the Vicarage is valued at £4; and in 1818, at £104 per annum.
"The Vicarage is endowed with the petty tithes. Annual value (the Vicarage being much wronged), a little above £30." Signed, "John Walker, Vicar." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1051.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1591; first book very imperfect. -Vide transcripts at Durham.
TOWNSHIP OF THORNTON LE BEANS. Mrs. Heber's Charity, date not given. Rent of a close called Fox Holes, containing about four acres, applied in educating poor children.
Wood Money. £12, produce of wood given by the Bishop of Durham towards building a school house, and in the hands of a Mr. Sadler at the time of the Report. -Vide 7th Report, p. 609.
Post town: Northallerton.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 1305. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 121. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 780. Tanner's Notitia, page 677. Valor Ecc., vol. iii. page 88. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Nomanebe,) pages 17. 23. 70. 115. 155. 172. 199.
*1 Viz. North Otterington, 61 ; Thornton le Beans, 219 ; Thornton le Moor, 337.