Area, 4,020 acres. Rydall wapentake. - Population, 1,204 ; Church-room, 1,450 *1; Net value, £198. -There was a Church at Malton prior to the Domesday Survey.
The town of Old Malton contained twelve carucates of land, which made a knight's fee, held by the Lords Vesey of the fee of Mowbray, who held the same of the King in capite.
And of these Dame Agnes de Vesey held nine and a half carucates, geldable, as well in demesne as service.
And the Canons of Malton held one carucate and a half in frank almoigne.
And another carucate was held of the liberty of St. Peter, which became parcel of the Prebend of Knaresburgh, and contained seven oxgangs of land.
15th November, A.D. 1625, the concord made between William, Lord Eure, Lord of the manor of Old Mahon, and the tenants, inhabitants, and freeholders thereof, for an equal and proportionable division of the lands and demesnes of the said manor by inclosures, was confirmed by Tobias, Archbishop of York, patron and proprietary of the Rectory and parsonage of Old Malton.
This Church, with all its lands and Chapels appertaining, was given by Eustace Fitz John to the Canons of the Priory of Malton, to which it was appropriated *2.
The patronage was granted by King Henry VIII., at the Dissolution, to the Archbishop of York, but in 1728, it was exchanged by Act of Parliament, for the Rectory of Molesworth, in Huntingdonshire, with Lord Malton, afterwards Marquis of Rockingham.
Present patron, Earl Fitzwilliam.
Impropriator, the Archbishop of York.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £21. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £10; in 1707, the Curacy was valued at £16. 13s. 4d.; and in 1818, at £117 per annum.
Old and New Malton Benefice was augmented in 1729, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Lord Malton ; in 1730, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Lord Malton ; and in 1817, with £400, and in 1821, with £600, both from the Parliamentary Grant -by lot.
27th March 1769, faculty to erect a vestry.
27th September 1800, faculty to erect a gallery.
24th June 1782, a faculty was granted to reduce the size of the Church.
Inclosure Acts were passed 34th and 36th Geo. III.
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, being "too small ;" and returned " unfit" in 1834.
The Register Books commence in 1606.
The Free Grammar School. Founded by Archbishop Holgate, 4th May 1547 ; for " teaching grammar and other sciences, and godly learning freely, without taking any stipend or exaction of the scholars." Patron, the Archbishop of York. Income, rent of 2a. 2r. and rents-charge of £92. 10s. per annum. At the time of the Report there were only four free scholars.
Spencer's dole. £5 per annum to the poor.
Poor's Stock. There was formerly a fund held by the churchwardens for the use of the poor, and called the Poor's Stock, but the fund no longer remains, and it is unknown when, or how it ceased to exist. -Vide 17th Report, page 669.
Post town: Malton.
Torre's MS., page 351. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 87. Nonae Rolls, page 230. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Maltune) pages 22, 23, 49. 72. Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvi. page 11. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 970. Gent's History of Hull. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 306. Young's Whitby (Antiquities), page 721. Burton's Monasticon, pages 36. 56.
*1 According to the return in 1818. In 1834, accommodation in the three Churches at Old and New Malton was returned in one gross number, viz. 2,600, and the amount of Population was also returned at 5,377.
*2 The Curate is licensed to Old Malton, St. Leonard's, and St. Michael's, in one license, by the name of Malton.
PRIORY. -The Gilbertine Priory of Old Malton was built and endowed about A.D. 1150, by Eustace Fitz John.