Area, 7,500 acres. Langbarugh liberty *2, E. and W. divis. -Population 901 *3 ; Church-room, 300; Net value, £167. -The Church was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Percies, till it was given by Arnold de Percy, with one carucate of land, to the Prior and Convent of Guisbrough, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein *4.
Here was a Priest and a Church at the time of the Domesday Survey.
At the Dissolution the patronage came to the Crown, and King Henry VIII. granted the Rectory and Advowson to the See of York.
Mr. Graves gives a catalogue of the Vicars.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £16. 13s. 4d.; Nova Tax, £10; in the King's Books, the Vicarage is valued at £6. 18s. 6d.; Synodals, 4s.; Procurations, 7s. 6d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 32. (Rectory), it is stated, " The chancel is in great decay;" and in 1818, at £140 per annum.
Mr. Graves gives the pedigrees of the Pennymans and Morleys.
4th May 1810, faculty to re-pew the Church, and make certain alterations therein.
An Inclosure Act was passed 49th Geo. III. (Normanby.)
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1599.
TOWNSHIP OF ORMSBY.
Pennyman's rent charge, £10 per annum. £3 per annum paid for teaching six poor children to read and write, and the residue is given in coals.
Bew's rent charge. £2 per annum, given among poor widows.
Rent charge of £1 per annum, given among the aged poor. -Vide 7th Report, page 727.
Post town: Stokesley.
Torre's MS., page 53. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 146. Nonae Rolls, page 232. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Ormesbi), pages 225. 235 ; (Upsale), pages 18. 76. 225. 235. Graves's Cleveland, page 439. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. pages 267-275. Burton's Monasticon, pages 74. 84-251. 335. 350. 353. Valor Ecc., vol. iii. p. 90.
*1 The By or Residence, of Orme, a Saxon, who settled here before the conquest.
*2 The parish is partly in West Langbarugh Liberty.. The Population of Upsall township is included in the return of Ormsby, West division of the Liberty.
*3 Viz. Eston, 334; Morton, 26; Normanby, 138 ; Ormsby and Upsall, 403. In 1834, the Population, exclusive of the Chapelry of Eston, was returned at 400.
*4 The Endowment of the Vicarge is detailed in Graves's History of Cleveland. The Valor Ecc. specifies the tithes, glebe land, and mansion, p. 90. col. 1.