Area, 7,740 acres. Allertonshire wapentake. -Population, 1,417 *1; Church-room, 400 *2; Net value, £92. -The Church of Osmotherley was part of the possessions of the Bishops of Durham, and of their patronage, and the Rectory was divided into three prebends or portions ; and on Id. October, A.D. 1322, they were all consolidated by William de Melton, who then ordained that these three portions in the same Church should thenceforth be a simple and pure Prebend, and altogether free from cure of souls for the future. " Yet," adds Torre, "the Church continued still in three portions or distinct Prebends."
Mr. Torre gives catalogues of the Prebendaries brought down to 1534.
A Vicarage was ordained Id. October 1322. Torre gives a catalogue of the Vicars.
Patron, the Bishop of Durham.
Impropriator, B. J. Wetherell, Esq.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, pars Thorne, at £9. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £4; pars Rogeri in eadem, £9. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £4; pars Alterius Thorne, £9. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £4; in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £8. 10s.; and in 1818, at £51 per annum.
Augmented in 1766, with £200; in 1786, with £200; in 1795, with £200; and in 1815, with £1,000 from the Parliamentary Grant--all by lot.
" All the tithes appropriated. Yearly salary £10. No manse house or glebe land." Signed, " Chas. Hall, Minister." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1568.
4th June, 1565, the Crown granted a lease of this Rectory for 21 years to James Conyers, on paying an annual pension of £10 per annum to the Vicar of Osmotherley and his successors *3.
An Inclosure Act was passed 27th and 28th Geo. II.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1696 ; deficient, 1717-1722. - Vide transcripts at Durham.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Northallerton.
Torre's MS., (Peculiars), page 1309. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. pages 124-173-178. Nonae Rolls, page 241. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 1474. Burton's Monasticon, page 57. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Ebrebec), pages 28. 198; (Asmundrelac), 28; (Timbelbi), 10.
*1 Viz. Ellerbeck, 79; Osmotherley, 1,087; Thimbleby, 185; and West Harsley, 66. A number of cottages have been built for the accommodation of labourers employed in weaving and bleaching, which occasioned an increase of Population in 1831 above 1821, of 332 persons.
*2 Returned at 490 in 1831.
*3 Particulars of leases in the Augmentation Office, Yorkshire, Roll 16, No. 78.