Area, 3,460 acres. Birdforth wapentake. - Population, 263 *1; Church-room, 200; NET Value, £69.
Patron, Sir G. Wombwell, as Lessee pf Trinity College, Cambridge.
Valued in 1707, at £12, and in 1818, at £38 per annum.
Augmented in 1757, with £200; in 1786, with £200; in 1810, with £200 from the Parliamentary grant ; and in 1817, with £200 -all by lot ; and in 1827 with £300 from the Parliamentary grant to meet benefactions of £100 from the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, £50 from the Rev. C. Easterby Swales, Incumbent, and the inhabitants, and £50 from Mr. Marshall's Trustees; and in 1832, with £200 to meet benefaction of £200 from the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1678.
Post town: Thirsk.
Not noticed by Torre. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. 3, p. 128. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Siluetune), page 28. Burton's Monasticon, pages 333, 363.
*1 Viz. Kepwick, 152; and Over Silton, 111.