Area, 2790 acres. Bulmer wapentake *1. -Population, 704 *2; Church-room, 300; Net value, £131. -Earl Morcar had a Hall at Overton previous to the Conquest.
The Church was given by King William Rufus to the Abbey and Convent of St. Mary's, York, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, in 1301.
The patronage was for many years in the Bouchier family, from whom it came to the Earles, and is now in Lord Viscount Downe.
Torre does not give the endowment ; the first,Vicar named in his catalogue was instituted in 1301.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's Taxation, at £13. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £6. 13s. 4d.; Vicaria ejusdem, £5; Nova Tax, 15s.; in the King's books, at £4. 8s. 2d.; Synodals and Procurations, 12s. 6d. *3; and in 1818, at £135 per annum.
Augmented in 1793 with £200 by lot.
Inclosure Acts were passed 46th Geo. III. and 52nd Geo. III. (Shipton.)
17th June 1796, faculty to take away the porch, steeple, and vestry, and build a new steeple and vestry.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1593.
TOWNSHIP OF SHIPTON. Free School. Ann Middleton, by will, dated 24th Aug. 1655, bequeathed £1000 for the building and erecting a grammar school, and for the yearly payment of £40 per annum, to the master. A school was built, and a rent charge of £45. 6s. per annum is secured upon a large estate at Shipton, called the Hall Farm. The master is appointed by the inhabitant freeholders of the township of Shipton. He has the use of a house and small garth. The school is open to all children of Shipton, who are gratuitously taught reading, writing, and accounts. No applications for free instruction in Latin had been made for many years preceding the report. The masters were, however, always such as were duly qualified, and the school was conducted with proper care and attention.
Ann Middleton's rent charge. 20s. per annum to the poor at Easter.
Richard Carlton's charity, by will, dated 26th May 1788. Interest of £10 distributed at Easter. This sum was voluntarily given by Mr. Matthew Cocking, the testator's heir, in lieu of a rent charge of 10s. per annum, which was void in law. -Vide 8th Report, page 717.
Post town: York.
Torre's MS., page 565. Abp. Sharp's MS. iii. page 28. Mon. Angl. vol. iii. page 529. Nonae Rolls, page 235. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Ovreton), pages 11, 14, 117.
*1 Shipton and Skelton are partly in the liberty of St. Peter of York.
*2 Viz. Overton, 49 ; Shipton, 364; and part of Skelton, 291. In 1834, the population was returned at 602.
*3 The Valor Eccl. specifies the tithes, -page 101. col. 1.