Area, 5,560 acres. Hang East and Hang West wapentakes. -Population, 1,051 *1; Church-room, 400; Net value, £96. -The Church was given to St. Mary's Abbey, by Stephen, Earl of Britain.
Patron, the Bishop of Chester.
Valued in the King's Books as a Rectory in charge, at £34. 13s. 4¼d.
An Act for the better collection of the tithes was passed 54th Geo. III.
There is no glebe house.
The Register Books, including Hunton, commence in 1723.
Free School. Founded by Samuel Atkinson, 13th March 1717, for two of the poorest people's children ; Samuel Clark and Gregory Elsley gave certain donations-twelve free scholars. Endowment ; 5a. 2r. of land, two cottages, and interest of £60.
Gregory Elsley's gift. Interest of £20.
Francis Clarke's gift, by will, 9th July 1708. rent charge of 52s. per annum, in bread.
William Hewgill's rent charge. 52s. per annum, for bread ; lost, not being properly charged. -Vide 6th Report, page 617.
Torre's MS., page 1647. Nonae Roll, page 237. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Bruntone), page 113. Whitaker's Richmond, vol. ii. p. 54.
*1 Viz. Arrowthorne, 59; Patrick Brompton, 188 ; Newton le Willows, 269 ; Hunton, 535.