Genuki Logo    Pickhill Pickhill  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: PICKHILL.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Augmented discharged Vicarage.

Area, 4,680 acres. Hallikeld and Allertonshire wapentakes. -Population, 758 *1; Church-room, 250; Net value, 152. -The Church was appropriated to the Hospital of St. Leonard, in York.

Patrons and impropriators, Trinity College, Cambridge.

Mr. Torre does not give any ordination of a Vicarage.

Valued in the King's Books, at 5. 13s. 4d.

The glebe house is unfit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1571 ; several years deficient, and the book 1670 to 1726, torn and imperfect.

Charities:
Church estate. Given 31st January 1590, by William Grant and William Byerley; given to be employed " only in and about repairing and amending the Church ;" tent of twenty-two acres of land. At the time of the Report, there was a balance of 100 in hand, and it was intended to purchase a house and half an acre of land for 130.

Poor's land. 5a. 2r. 11p., the rent is distributed in bread and clothing.

Stock. Dividends on 160 four per cents ; given in bread.

Squire's gift. Interest of 5, to the poor of Senderby.

Banner's gift, 1 per annum. -Vide 4th Report, page 408.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1615. None Roll, page 237. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Picala), page 116. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 613. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 134.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Ainderby Quernhow, 107 ; Howe, 33 ; Pickhill with Roxby, 388; Sinderby, 93; Swainby with Allarthorpe, 27; Holme, 85; West Rouncton, 192.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014