GENUKI Home page    Romaldkirk Romaldkirk  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: ROMALDKIRK.     Church dedication: ST. ROMALD.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 54,760 acres. Grilling West wapentake. -Population, 2,507 *1; Church-room, 550; Net value, with Learkirk, 773.

The patronage anciently belonged to the Lords Fitz Hugh, and afterwards to the Lords Scrope, of Bolton.

Present patron, J. Bowes, Esq.

Valued in the King's Books, at 58. 14s. 2d.

Inclosure Acts were passed 42nd, 43rd, and 51st Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1578.

Charities:
Jullan Browell's gift, 1772. Interest of 15.

TOWNSHIP OF HOLWICK.

Poor's Money. Interest of 17.

TOWNSHIP OF HUNDERTHWAITE.

Interest of 10 -donor unknown.

TOWNSHIP OF COTHERSTONE. Poor's money. Interest of 30.

TOWNSHIP OF LARTINGTON.

School. Founded long before 1686, by John Parker. 12 per annum rent charge; eight children taught reading, writing, and arithmetic.

Thomas Bowran's gift. Interest of 10. Thomas Jackson's gift. Interest of 20.

TOWNSHIP OF LUNE.

Carlbeck School. 10 per annum, paid by the lord of the manor, also the interest of 20, in the hands of Mrs. Fanny Gibson.

Poor's money. Interest of 22.

TOWNSHIP OF MICKLETON.

John Dent's rent charge, 6s. per annum.

John Blarton's charity, by will, 23rd April 1725. Rent of a messuage and garden.

TOWNSHIP OF ROMALDKIRK.

Free School. Endowment; rent charge of 20 per annum, and rent of 1a. 0r. 16p. of land.

Poor's money. Interest of 16 -donor unknown.

School and Hospital, vide Bowes. -Vide 7th Report, page 664.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1703. Nonae Roll, page 233. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Rumoldeschere). page 100. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. i. page 129.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Cotherston, 631 ; Holwick, 208 ; Hunderthwaite, 297; Lartington, 183; Lunedale, 308; Mickleton, 500; Romaldkirk, 380.


Other information:
LEARKIRK. -PATRON SAINT NOT Unknown. - (Parish of Romaldkirk. Chapel of Ease.) -Gilling West wapentake. -Church-room, 200; Net value, vide Romaldkirk.

ROMANDBY. -11 Kal. June 1231, Abp. Walter Gray granted to John de Romandby to have a Chantry in the Chapel of Romandby, therein to celebrate divine service, so that it be performed without procession and benediction of palms, every day in the year excepting Christmas-day, Purification, Good Friday, Easter-day, and Palm Sunday.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 375.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014