GENUKI Home page    Lastingham Lastingham  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: ROSEDALE.     Church dedication: ST. LAWRENCE.

Pickering Lythe wapentake. -Area, 13,000 acres. Population, 554 *1; Church-room, 230 *2; Net value, 94. The valley of Rosedale was given to the Priory of Rosedale by Robert de Stutevill.

The Chapel is within the parishes of Lastingham and Middleton, and was appropriated to the Priory of Rosedale. The town, it seems, is divided by a brook, and the Chapel stands in that part which belongs to the parish of Middleton, the other part is in Lastingham parish, but the inhabitants come to this parish, and contribute 10s. per annum to the Minister. The Vicar of Middleton, in Archbishop Sharp's time, resigned all his title to this parish.

Patrons, the Rev. A. Caley and others; but said to be in dispute.

Valued in 1707, at 5; and in 1818, at 56. 14s. per annum.

Augmented in 1739, with 200; and in 1772, with 200 -both by lot ; in 1785, with 200, to meet benefaction of 200 from the trustees of Mr. Marshall; in 1810, with 200; and in 1826, with 1,000, both from the Parliamentary Grant -by lot.

No glebe house.

The Register Books for baptisms, marriages, and burials, commence in 1616 ; very imperfect before 1726.

Charity:
The School. Founded by Thomas Peirson, by will, about 1720. Endowment ; rents-charge of 2 and 3 per annum-five free scholars in reading, writing, and accounts, chosen by the chapelwarden and overseer of Rosedale East Side. -Vide 7th Report, page 742.

Post town: Kirkby Moorside.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1055. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 93. Mon. Angl., vol. iv. page 316. Eastmead's Rievallensis, pages 282. 306. 308.


Notes:
*1 East Side (Middleton), 376; West Side (Lastingham), 178. Returned in 1834, at 518.

*2 Estimated in 1818 at 400 or 500.


Other information:
PRIORY. -The Priory of Rosedale, for Benedictine or Cistercian Nuns, founded temp. Richard I., by Robert de Stutevill.

Burton's Monasticon, pages 378, 379.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014