Area, 2,810 acres. Rydall wapentake. -Population, 355 *1; Church-room, 142 *2; Net value, £90. -Salton is mentioned in a grant by Roger de Mowbray, as having been the residence of Edmund the Hermit.
The Prebendary of Salton, who was always the Prior of Hexham, was Lord of the whole town of Salton, having there his dominical manor and three carucates of arable land and thirteen acres of meadow, also twenty husbandmen, each holding a toft and two oxgangs of land by rent and services, likewise ten grassmen, each one holding a toft and an acre of land, by rent and services.
The Church was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the Prebend of Salton, and was annexed to the Priory of Hexham, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, in 1312.
At the Dissolution the patronage came to the Crown, and afterwards to the Bennets, and then to the Earls of Salisbury.
Present patron and impropriator, G. W. Dowker, Esq.
Valued in the King's Books, at £4. 108. 8d.; and in 1818, at £75 per annum.
The glebe house is unfit for residence, vide return in 1834 ; in 1818 it was returned, " fit for residence."
The Register Books commence in 1573 ; the early entries are few and irregular.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Malton.
Torre's MS., page 865. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 105. Nonae Rolls, page 242. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Bragebi), page 49; (Saletan) 49. Burton's Monasticon, pages 97. 363. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 252.
*1 Viz. Brawby, 199; Salton, 156; all within the liberty of St. Peter, of York.
*2 In 1818, estimated at 300.