Area, 11,060 acres. Pickering Lythe wapentake. -Population, 1,676 *1; Church-room, 450 *2; Net value, £302. -This Church was given by Eustace Fitz John to the Canons of Bridlington, to whom it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein ; and upon the Dissolution, the Rectory and Advowson was granted by the Crown to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are now the patrons and impropriators of it.
King Henry II. gave to the Monks of Bridlington free pannage for all their swine in his forest at Scalby, at the time other hogs feed thereon.
Torre gives no particulars of the ordination ; his first Vicar was instituted in 1238.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £16, and the Vicarage at £8; and in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £6. 13s. 4d. per annum ; Synodals. 4s.; Procurations. 7s. 6d.
15th September 1710, license to build a school-house.
An Inclosure Act was passed 11 th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1653.
Christopher Keld's Hospital, by will, date not given. Endowment : house for four widows, and rent of six acres of land. The rent, after providing for repairs and incidental expenses, is equally divided among the widows.
Sarah Knowsley's gift by will, dated 15th March 1714. Rent of about three acres of land, for purchase of bread, to be distributed every year among the poor of Scalby, Burniston, and Newby.
Robinson Farside's gift. rent charge of £3 per annum for the most necessitous poor, in sums of £1, at Easter, Whitsuntide, and Christmas.
Hodgson's dole. 5s. per annum, given in weekly sums of one penny each to the poor of the townships of Burniston and Cloughton. - Vide 7th Report, page 745.
Post town: Scarborough.
Torre's MS., page 855. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 238. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, (Brinnistun,) page 11. 115 ; (Cloctune,) pages 11. 71. 172 ; (Scallebi, ) page 11; (Steintun,) page 11. Nonae Roll, page 241. Mon. Ang., vol. vi. pages 285. 287. 291. Burton's Monasticon, pages 221, 222. 239. 251. Cole's Scalby.
*1 Viz. Burniston, 317 ; Cloughton, 415 ; Newby, 55 ; Scalby, 583 ; Stainton Dale, 252 ; and Throxenby, 54. -In 1834, the Population was returned (exclusive of Cloughton) at 1,008.
*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 550.