Area, 3,610 acres. Rydall wapentake. -Population, 148 *1; Church-room, 150; Net value, £145. -Richard de Malbys held three carucates of land in Scawton of Roger de Mowbray, who held them of the King in capite, for the fourth part of a knight's fee.
The Church was anciently a Chapel within the parish of Old Byland, and was built in the year 1146, by Roger, the second Abbot of Byland, and all for the easement of his benefactor and Lord Hugh de Malbys and men therein to hear divine service.
The Rectory was anciently in the patronage of the Malbyes, of Acaster, and from them to the Fairfaxes, of Walton, till 1729, when the Worsleys, of Hovingham, the present patrons, first presented.
Torre after mentioning the building of the Chapel by Roger, Abbot of Old Byland, adds, that after Roger had finished the work and furnished it with books, vestments, font, and other ornaments, he caused the little bell of Old Byland to be taken down and hung therein, reserving all burials to the mother Church of Old Byland.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £6. 13s. 4d.; in the King's Books, at £2. 19s.; and in 1818, at £79. 2s. 7d. per annum.
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, " being too small ;" and returned " unfit" in 1834.
The Register Books commence in 1721. -But vide transcripts of earlier Registers at York.
Parochial Charities. -No return given in the Commissioners' Report.
Post town: Helmsley.
Torre's MS., page 303. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 77. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Scaltun), pages 72. lb& Burton's Monasticon, page 363.
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 150.