Genuki Logo    Seamer in Cleveland Seamer in Cleveland  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SEAMER IN CLEVELAND.     Church dedication: ST. MARTIN.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 2,650 acres. Langbarugh liberty, W.D. -Population, 224 *1; Church-room, 150 *2; Net value, 56. -This Church was given to the Prior and Convent of Guisbrough.

The patronage was in the Carey family, till Lady Amherst, only surviving daughter of General Carey, sold the same to Sir George Russell, who bequeathed it to Robert Greenhill, Esq.

Present patron and impropriator the Earl of Egremont.

Valued in 1707, at 7. 17s.; and in 1818, at 54. 6s. 8d. per annum.

Augmented in 1728, with 200; in 1778, with 200; in 1787, with 200; and in 1810 with 200, from the Parliamentary Grant, -all by lot.

An Inclosure Act for Seamer was passed 49th Geo. III.

The glebe house is unfit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1638.

Charity:
TOWNSHIP OF NEWBY.

Coulson's charity. Founded by the will of Christopher Coulson, dated 24th April 1640, and augmented by the will of John Coulson, dated 18th July 1674. Annuity of 14. 10s. per annum out of two farms, of which 6. 10s. is paid to the incumbent Curate, for preaching thirteen sermons in the year *3; 5 to the schoolmaster of Newby, for his salary, and 3 for clothing for ten free scholars. It appears to have been the intention of the testators, that the surplus of the rents of the two farms should be distributed yearly among the poor by the minister and churchwardens, but the Commissioners could not discover the particulars of the farms. -Vide Graves's Cleveland and 7th Report, page 746.

Post town: Stokesley.


References:
Not noticed in Torre's MS. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 134. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Servers), page 70. Graves's Cleveland, page 183. Burton's Monasticon, page 357.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 376.

*2 In 1818, the Church-room was stated at 500.

*3 Mr. Graves states that in his time the payment was made to a Presbyterian minister.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014