Area, 3,340 acres. Allertonshire wapentake. -Population, 464 *1; Church-room, sufficient *2; Net value, £574. -In the town are six carucates of land, of which half a carucate and four oxgangs were held by Marmaduke Darrell of John de Percy, who held them of the bishop of Durham, who held the whole town of the king in capite for one knight's fee, and no rent. The Church was given by Marmaduke and William Darrell to the abbey of St. Mary's, in York : and on the Dissolution, the patronage was granted to the Dawneys, now Lords Downe, who are still the patrons.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £13. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £6. 13s. 4d.; and in the King's books, at £17. 0s. 2d. per annum ; Synodals and Procurations, 7s. 6d.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1612. Deficient 1620 and 1621.
STATES AND FUNDS. -Certain lands, let, at the time of the Report, for £17. 10s. per annum, purchased with some ancient benefactions ; £78. 15s. new four per cents, purchased with other benefactions ; and money arising from sale of timber, and an annual rent charge of 12s. given by Margaret Wade, in 1680. The rents and proceeds are distributed with the sacrament money. -Vide 10th Report, page 733.
Post town: Easingwold.
Torre's MS., page 573. Abp. Sharp's MS.. vol iil. page 35. Nonae Rolls, page 236. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Sezai), page 63. Jefferson's Thirsk, page 95.
*1 Viz. Hutton-Sessay, and Sessay.
*2 In 1818, the return was 377.