GENUKI Home page    Skelton Skelton  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SKELTON.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Peculiar. Discharged Rectory.

Area, 2,320 acres. Bulmer wapentake *1 Population, 291 *2; Church-room, 250; Net value, 80. -This Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Treasurer of the Cathedral Church of York, and on the Dissolution of the Treasury it came to the Crown ; and in Archbishop Sharp's time, the presentation was in the hands of Sir James Brooke.

Torre says, " The Rectory belonged to the collation of the Treasurer, who had likewise eleven tenements, and fourteen oxgangs of land, and Jurisdiction over the same." -His catalogue of Rectors is very imperfect.

Patron, J. Hepworth, Esq., of Pontefract.

Valued in the King's books, at 5, after deducting 1s. 8d. per annum to the Treasurer of the Church of York ; also see Nonae Rolls, page 239; and in 1818, at 130 per annum.

An Inclosure Act was passed 46th Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1538. Deficient 1655 and 1656.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: York.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 581. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 63. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Scheltune), page 117. Gent's Ripon, page 2.


Notes:
*1 Part of the town is in the parish of Overton, in the Diocese of York.

*2 In 1834, the population was returned at 273.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014