GENUKI Home page    Thirsk Thirsk  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: SOWERBY.     Church dedication: ST. OSWALD.

Area, 2,420 acres. Birdforth wapentake. Population, 756 ; Church-room, 250 *1; Net value, 34.

Patron and impropriator, the Archbishop of York.

Valued in 1707, at 14; and in 1818, at 120 per annum.

Augmented in 1763, with 200, to meet benefaction of 200 from Mr. G. Wright by his will ; and in 1792, with 200 -by lot.

An Inclosure Act was passed 38th Geo. III.

The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, " being too small," and returned " unfit" in 1834.

The Register Books commence in 1569. The early books much decayed and imperfect.

Charities:
John Dinmore's charity, by will, dated 26th March 1693. Rent of 1a. 1r. of land, distributed in coals among four of the poorest families or householders, by the Minister and overseers, at Michaelmas.

George Wright's rent charge of 1 per annum, by will, dated 17th March 1721. Distributed in coals. - Vide 4th Report, page 395.

Post town: Thirsk.


References:
Torre's MS., page 624. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Soreby), page 26. Jefferson's Thirsk, page 79.


Notes:
*1 Estimated in 1818 at 300.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014