Area, 6,820 acres. Langbarugh liberty, W.D., -Population, 1000 *1; Church-room, 250 *2; Net value, £323. -This Church was given by Robert de Bras to the Prior and Convent of Guisbrough, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein.
At the Dissolution the patronage came to the Crown, and King Henry VIII. granted the Rectory and Advowson to the See of York, and the Archbishop now collates.
Mr. Torre gives a catalogue of the Vicars, which is continued by Mr. Graves.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £21. 6s. 8d; Nova Tax, £13. 6s. 8d.; Vicaria ejusdem, £4. 13s. 4d.; Nova Tax, £3. 13s. 4d.; in the King's Books, the Vicarage is valued at £5. 14s. 1d. per annum ; Synodals, 4s.; Procurations, 7s. 6d. *3
Augmented in 1722, with £200; to meet benefactions of £100 from Messrs. N. Pearson, George Pashley, Robert Pashley, Matthew Pursloe, and Thomas Tofield ; and £100, a legacy from the Reverend Robert Turk.
Mr. Graves gives the pedigree of the Gowers.
" Only endowed with a part of the small tithes, as calf, and a third part of wool and lamb. The Church at Middlesborough, and the Chapel of Acklam, belonged to this as a Rectory, only the Chapel of Thornaby is left to it as a Vicarage. Mr. Richard Lumley, my immediate predecessor, bequeathed his library for ever to the use of the Minister or Curate for the time being, or whether of them resided there." Signed, " F. Nicholson, Vic." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1058.
An Inclosure Act for Stainton was passed 50th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1551.
TOWNSHIP OF STAINTON. -Poor's money. Interest of £10, given in bread at Easter and Christmas ; placed out at note-donor unknown.
Mary Burden's charity, by deed, dated 18th October 1817. rent charge of £5. 5s. per annum, for teaching six poor children reading, writing and arithmetic; a Bible to be given to each child on leaving the school at the end of three years. The master to be chosen by the churchwardens and overseers with the approbation of the Vicar.
TOWNSHIPS OF BARWICK AND HEMLINGTON.
The returns in 1786, mention two benefactions amounting to £22. 10s. for the poor of Barwick, and two benefactions of £5 each, one for bread for the poor of Barwick, and the other for the poor of Hemlington, and respectively given by William and Thomas Metcalfe, Thomas Barker, and a person unknown, and then in the hands of Thomas Fawell, at interest. The Commissioners examined his grandson, Mr. Fawell of Yarm, who said he had always understood the donation to be voluntary, and expressed his inclination to give effect to the intentions of those, by whom the benefactions mentioned in the return were given, if the existence of each, or any directions in writing respecting them can be discovered. -Vide 7th Report, page 732.
Post town: Stokesley.
Torre's MS., page 81. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 143. Graves's Cleveland, page 477. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. pages 267. 276. Burton's Monasticon, page 352. Tanner's Notitia, page 639. Valor Ecc., vol. iii. page 90. Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 32. Bodleian MS., No. 5101.
*1 Viz. Hemlington, 83; Ingleby Barwick, 177; Maltby, 168; Stainton, 271; Thornaby, 301.
*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned, Stainton cum Thornaby sufficient for the then Population of 816.
*3 The Valor Ecc. specifies the tithes, glebe land, and mansion. -Page 90, col. 1. In Monastic. Ebor. page 84, a composition touching the tithes, parochial dues, &c., of the Chapel. of Midelsburg, in this parish, made between the Canons of Gisburn, impropriators of this Church, and the monks of Whitby. There was a decree in the Exchequer in Hilary Term, 7th Wm. III. as to tithes at Lyngthorp, but which is unreported.