GENUKI Home page    Stonegrave Stonegrave  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: STONEGRAVE.     Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 2,490 acres. Rydall wapentake *1. -Population, 327 *2; CHURCH -ROOM, 250; Net value, 495. -In the town of Stonegrave are two and a half carucates of land, which John de Stonegrave held in demesne of the fee of Paynell, who held them of the King in capite, rent per annum 2s.

Here six carucates made a knight's fee.

Also there is in the same town another carucate of land, not geldable, whereof the Church is endowed.

The Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Staingraves, Knights, from whom it came to the Pateshills, Knights, and from them to the Greens, of Norton Davy, Knights, and from them to the Parrs, by Maude, daughter and one of the co-heiresses of Sir Thomas Greene, Knight, and on the attainder of the Marquis of Northampton, brother to Queen Katherine Parr, the presentation came to the crown, and is now exercised by the Prime Minister.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at 33. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, 14. 13s.4d.; and in the King's Books, at 33. 6s. 8d. per annum *3.

An Inclosure Act was passed 16th Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1584. Charities. -Rents-charge. 18s., 1. 8s., and 1s. per annum, for the poor. Mrs. Comber's and Thomas Comber's gift. Interest of 10 for the poor.

John Anderson's gift. Interest of 20, at the time of the Report the payment of the interest was suspended.

Church Land. Rent of house, orchard, and garth, left in 1728 towards the repair of the Church. -Vide 10th Report, page 741.

Post town: Helmsley.


References:
Torre's MS. page 267. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 81. Nonae Rolls, page 240. Notititia Parochialis, No. 865. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Stanegrif), pages 50. 187. 236; (Nesse) 187. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 186.


Notes:
*1 The parish is now wholly in the diocese of York, but Newton was anciently within the peculiar jurisdiction of Salton. >East Ness was heretofore entered as part of Stonegrave parish, but now in Kirkdale parish.

*2 Viz. East and West Ness, 59; East Newton and Laysthorpe, 79 ; and Stonegrave, 189. In 1834, the Population was returned at 408. The township of East Ness, now returned in Hovingham parish, was heretofore attributed to the parish of Stonegrave.

*3 "The Rector is entitled to the tithes of calves and milk in kind. -Worsley v. Aydon." 3 Wood, page 383.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014