GENUKI Home page    Strensall Strensall  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: STRENSALL.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

(Peculiar.) Area, 2,710 acres. Bulmer wapentake *1. -Population, 398 *2; Church-room, 150; Net value, 195. -The Prebendary is lord of the whole town, having his manor there, and jurisdiction of the inhabitants and tenants thereof.

This Church was an ancient Rectory belonging to the Prebendary of Strensall, to which stall it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 6th Kal. September 1314.

Patron and Impropriator, the Prebendary of Strensall, in York Cathedral.

Valued in the King's books, at 4. 13s. 4d. per annum.

Torre -says, " 13th July 1360, Adam Bukeler, the Vicar of Strensall, was charged with having committed adultery with Cicely, the wife of Thomas ---- and appeared before the Chapter, and purged himself.

"13th January 1372, same Adam Bukeler was accused of fornication with Agnes Galight, and was enjoined to walk for three days, three times round Strensall Church, with bare feet, saying at the same times seven penitentiary psalms.

" 1402, this Adam Bukeler resigned the living of Strensall, for that of St. Helen's, in Fishergate."

24th April 1801, faculty to rebuild the steeple and belfry, and so much of the walls as should be thought requisite, and take off the covering of the roof, and re-cover it with lead or Westmorland slate, and rough cast the exterior of the Church, and re-pew the same.

Inclosure Acts were passed 30th Geo. II, and 10th Geo. III. (Earswick.)

The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, on account of its smallness. In 1834, the return was, no glebe.

The Register Books commence in 1580-chasm 1639 to 1674.

Charities:
Poor and Church lands. 70a. 1r. 19p. and 8 cottages, and interest of 72. 1. 1s. 6d. per annum paid for bread and wine for the sacrament, residue to the poor. The entries on the Court Roll appear in the years 1679,1719, and 1818.

School Lands, 20a. 1r. 17p. The school is free to the children of the poor, having settlements.

Elizabeth Cobb's charity, by will, dated 17th Jan. 1809. Interest of 72 to the poor.

William Cobb's charity, by will, dated 2d April 1810. Interest of 1000 for the poor. It appears this gift was not recoverable by law, but at the time of the Report there was a prospect of a sum of money being given by the next of kin. -Vide 12th Report, page 654.

Post town: York.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 601. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 61. Nonae Rolls, page 242. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Stren-shale), page 51.


Notes:
*1 But in St. Peter's Liberty.

*2 In 1834, the population was returned at 438. Part of the townships of Earswick and Towthorpe are in this parish.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014