|Sutton on the Forest|
Area 10,070 acres. Bulmer wapentake. -Population, 1,019 *2; Church-room, 350; Net value, £395. -In Sutton, saith the Domesday Survey, Ligulf had five carucates of land to be taxed. There was land to two ploughs. Girard, a vassal of Hugh the son of Baldric, had there one plough, and eight villanes with two ploughs. There was a Priest, and a mill ; wood pasture one mile and a half long and five quarentens broad. The whole manor two miles long and five quarentens broad ; value in King Edward's time twenty six shillings, but then twenty shillings.
The Church was given to the Prior and Convent of Marton,towhich itwas appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 12 Kal. March 1223; and 7th Id. October 1372, a new ordination was made by Archbishop Thoresby. At the Dissolution, the patronage came to the crown, and King Henry VIII. granted the advowson to the see of York in exchange, and the Archbishops of York have presented ever since.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £13. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £5. 6s. 8d.; Vicaria ejusdem, £12; Nova Tax, £5; in the King's Books, at £16. 13s. 8d. per annum ; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. 17, p. 20, (Rectory) it is stated, " The Rectory belongs to the Archbishop. The Vicar hath tithe corn and hay of Huby, and the small tithes Vicarage, £4 per annum."
"The parish consists of two towns; viz., Sutton, where the great tithes are impropriate to Thomas Hutton, Esq.; the other, Huby, where the Vicar is endowed with all tithes whatever, but a great deal of the ground here is exempted by modus. An augmentation of £8 per annum was made about four years ago by the Archbishop." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1052.
The Vicar is charged with the reparation and rebuilding of the Chancel of the Church.
A Decree in the Exchequer in Michaelmas Term, 13th Car. II., as to tithes, is unreported.
An Inclosure Act was passed 29th Geo. II.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1557-some chasms-the first book is imperfect.
Mrs. Elizabeth Harland's gift, by will, dated 21st October 1782. Interest of £260, distributed every Christmas day, or during Christmas week, to such poor of, or residing at, Sutton and Huby, as the Minister and churchwardens should select.
Robert Parkinson's rent charge, given in 1622. 12s. per annum, given to the poor of the parish on St. Thomas's-day.
John Sturdy's rent charge, £171. 5s. per annum to the poor. Given at Easter.
Ann Cobb's rent charge of 40s. per annum, out of Todd's close, in Easingwold, for bread every Lord's day to such poor as should come constantly to Church.
John Harland's gift, by will, in 1729. Rent of Gigglepit close, (quantity not mentioned,) and interest of £31, distributed every Lord's day, after evening prayer, to such poor as should come constantly to church.
Mrs. Elizabeth Harland's gift, by will, dated 18th December 1766. Interest of £60 to be given in bread every Lord's day to such poor persons of Sutton as the Minister and churchwardens should select.
TOWNSHIP OF HUBY.
Doles. -Tate's, 5s. per annum, payable on Good Friday, out of a frontstead, adjoining west on Weatherill-lane.
John Thompson's, by will, dated 30th March 1613. 30s., payable on the three great festivals out of the Poor's Close in Huby.
Flesher's, 20s. per annum, charged on nine sellions of land in the town-fields of Huby.
John Bacon's, by will, dated 13th May 1753. 10s. per annum every Christmas Eve among ten of the poorest families in Huby, charged on a house and premises adjoining the Chapel-yard.
William Vause's rent charges, by will, dated 6th July 1695. 50s. per annum, out of Brown Moor, to be bestowed in bread every Lord's day in Sutton Church to the poor of Huby, and 20s. per annum, out of Ox close -and Barley Carr lands, for the 'schooling of four of the poorest children of Huby, to be chosen by the Minister and overseers.
William Brown's gift, by will, dated 20th June 1714. Interest of £5 to be given among poor widows on St. Thomas's day. The Commissioners reported this charity to be lost. -Vide 8th Report, p. 720.
Post town: York.
Torre's MS. page 491. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. iii. page 30. Mon. Angl. vol. vi. pages 198, 199. Nonae Rolls, page 236. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Sudtune), page 197. Burton's Monasticon, page 267.
*1 Alias, Sutton in Galtres.
*2 Viz. Sutton on the Forest, 493, Ruby, 526.
HUBY. -It appears from the endowment of Sutton, that there was then a Chapel here. Some remains are still to be seen.
The lord of the manor of Huby is said to have formerly exercised the right of granting probates and letters of administration.