Area, 3,630 acres. Bulmer wapentake. -Population, 759 *1; Church-room, 320: Net value, £571. -This Church is an ancient Rectory, yet there was once a Vicarage till 18 Kal. July 1247, when same were consolidated.
Patron, the Rev. Charles Hall.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £30; Nova Tax, £15: and in the King's Books, at £23. 18s. 6d., per annum; Synodals and Procurations, 13s. 6d *2.
11th October A.D. 1316, 10th Edward II, the King granted license to the Prior and Convent of Marton, to amortize one messuage in Terrington, and grant the same to Robert de Wodehouse and his successors to enlarge the mansion-house in exchange for another messuage in Terrington of the said Robert's, which was confirmed to the Priory of Marton, on 20th October 1316, and ratified by the Dean and Chapter of York 3 Kal. December 1316.
"All tithes are received in kind ; there is a new Parsonage house, and several outhouses rebuilt by the present Incumbent who has also built a school-house ; annual value above £30." Signed " F. Micklethwaite, Rect." Notitia Parochialis, No. 716.
An Inclosure Act was passed 12th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books, which are legible, commence in 1654. There is an earlier Book, which is returned " dates illegible."
The grange and rents at Mowthorpe belonged to the Priory of Old Marton.
Ancient payments. The following doles, origin unknown, are collected annually, viz. 10s., £2. 13s. 4d., £2. 6s. 8d., 6s. 8d., 1s., 1s. 6d., 1s. 3d., and 1s. 3d. Given in coals.
Poor's money. Interest of £55. Given in coals.
Overseers' money. £1 per annum is paid out of the rates for teaching two poor children nominated by the overseers. This appears to be in satisfaction of a legacy of £21, a long time ago appropriated to the use of the parish.
Lost Charities. In the return made in 1786, mention is made of three other small yearly payments issuing out of lands, but nothing is now known respecting them. -Vide 8th Report, page 722.
Post town: Whitwell.
Torre's MS., page 459. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. Nonce Rolls, page 235. Mon. Angl. vol. vi. page 974. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Tevrintone), pages 74. 118. 121. Burton's Monasticon, page 267.
*1 Viz. Ganthorpe; 110, Terrington and Wig-genthorpe, 649. The two latter towns are partly in St. Peter's Liberty. In 1834, the Population was returned at 709.
*2 The Valor Eccl. specifies mansion, tithes, and glebe land; page 96, col. 1.