GENUKI Home page    Thirsk Thirsk  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: THIRSK.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 7,520 acres. Birdforth wapentake *1. - Population, 3,829 *2; Church-room, 1,000 *3; Net value, 143.

The manor of Woodhall at Thirsk was held by Roger de Mowbray, in demesne, for three carucates of land, of the King in demesne.

And Adam de Pyketon held in the same manor one carucate of land and three acres of meadow of Roger de Mowbray, who held it of the King in eapite, by no rent.

This Church, in which was a Chantry, was given by Roger de Mowbray to the Priory of Newburgh, to which it was appropriated, but without the taxation of a Vicarage.

The patronage is in the Archbishop of York, to whom it was given by King Henry VIII. at the Dissolution.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at 36. 13s. 4d.; Nova Tax, 12. In 1707, the Curacy was valued at 40 , and in 1818, at 98 per annum *4.

Augmented in 1811, with 1,200; and in 1824, with 400, both from the Parliamentary grant-by lot ; and in 1834, with 200, and 200 from the same grant, to meet benefaction of a stipend of 30. Der annum, from Edward Harcourt, Lord Archbishop of York, as a perpetual augmentation.

An Inclosure Act was passed 33rd Geo. III.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1556. Entries of marriages defective 1719-1721. -Vide transcripts in the Registry at York.

20th November 1780, faculty to erect a gallery.

2nd October 1803, an additional burial ground was consecrated.

Charities:
Rents and payments out of land, and recorded in the table of benefactions :-Henry Davison, by will, dated 1629, gave 20s. a year in lands called Oldby. Henry Croe, by will, dated 22nd September 1657, gave four wands of land, lying in the North Ings, paying 16s. yearly. The Rev. Mr. Midgeley, by will, dated 10th November 1692, gave a rent charge of 15s. per annum. Richard Wrightson, by will, dated 1725, left a rent charge of 2s. a year, to be given in white bread. Due to the poor yearly from the Methodist Meetinghouse, in Old Thirsk, by deed, dated 23rd April 1767, 10s. William Wrightson, by will, dated 1684, gave two roods of land called Wellands. -The several annual sums and rents mentioned above are distributed by the churchwardens, at their discretion, among poor persons of the township of Thirsk.

Timothy Place's charity, by will, dated 1st June 1810. Dividends on 1,000 three per cent. consols. To be laid out in bread, to be distributed weekly amongst poor persons of the parish of Thirsk not receiving alms from the said parish, with this express condition, that such persons should be regular attendants at divine worship in the Church at Thirsk. -Vide 4th Report, page 394.

A post town.


References:
Torre's MS., page 619. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 39. Nonae Rolls, page 236. Bodleian MS., No. 5101. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Tresche), pages 26. 197. Burton's Monasticon, pages 91. 207. 283. 337. 352. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 31t Jefferson's History of Thirsk.


Notes:
*1 The township of Carlton Miniot is partly in the Liberty of St. Peter of York.

*2 Viz. Carlton Miniot, 238; Sowerby, 756; and Thirsk, 2,835. In 1834, the Population of Thirsk was returned at 2,835.

*3 In 1818, stated at 2,000.

*4 In the Valor Ecc. it is called Libera Capella, and its rights are stated to be a mansion with appurtenances in Bagby, rents and farms in Thirsk, and rent of a garden in Bagby, value 5. 16s. 4d. -Pages 101, 102. col. 2.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014