|Thornton le Street|
Area, 2,750 acres. Allertonshire wapentake . -Population, 226 *1; Church-room, 100 *2; Net value, £60. -The town contains six carucates of land, which the Bishop of Durham held of the King in capite, for half a knight's fee, and no rent.
The Church was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Bishops of Durham, by whom it was given to the Hospital of St. James at Northallerton, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein.
At the Dissolution the patronage came to the Crown, and was granted to the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford.
No endowment given, the first Vicar named in Torre's List, was instituted in 1295.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £13.6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £6. 13s. 4d.; in the King's Books, the Vicarage is valued at £4; and in 1818, at £78 per annum.
Augmented in 1769, with £200; and in 1810, with £200 from the Parliamentary Grant, -both by lot ; and in 1812, with £200 from the same Grant, to meet benefactions of £100 from the Rev. Thomas Hartland Fowle, the Vicar, and £100 from Mrs. Pyncombe's trustees.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1600; but the two first books are imperfect. -Vide transcripts at Durham.
Mrs. Ann Talbot's gift. Interest of £20, left for the poor in 1736, and distributed at Christmas. -Vide 6th Report, page 593.
Post town: Thirsk.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 1325. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 120. Tanner's Notitia, page 677. Valor Ecc., vol. iii. page 88. Mon. Angl., vol. ii. page 170. Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 81. Jefferson's Thirsk, page 138.
*1 North Kilvington, 64; and Thornton le Street, 162.
*2 Estimated in 1818, at 150.