Genuki Logo    Thornton Watlass Thornton Watlass  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: THORNTON WATLASS.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 4,850 acres. Hang East wapentake. -Population, 448 *1; Church-room, 214 ; Net value, 475. -The Church was formerly in the patronage of the Lords Scrope, of Massam.

Patron, Sir M. Milbank, Bart.

Valued in the King's Books, at 6. 10s. 10d.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1574 ; imperfect, 1653-1697-1698-1702.

Charities:
rent charge, 8s. per annum.

Dodsworth's charity. Interest of 100, for teaching twelve poor children. -Vide 6th Report, page 636.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1579. None Roll, page 238. Bawdwe#s Domesday Book (Torentun), pages 10, &c. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 74.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Clifton-upon-Ure, 43; Rookwith, 78; Thirn, 142; Thornton Watlas, 185.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014