Area, 1,100 acres. Langbarugh liberty, E.D. -Population, 265; Church-room, 200 *2; Net value, £57.
It was given as a Church to the Prior and Convent of Guisbrough by Robert de Brus, though sometimes called a Chapel in the parish of Guisbrough, and enjoys parochial rights. The tower was rebuilt in 1684.
Patron and impropriator, the Archbishop of York.
Augmented in 1786, with £200; in 1787, with £200; and in 1788, with £200, -all by lot ; and in 1791, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Sir Thomas Dundas, Bart.
Mr. Graves gives the pedigree of the Coulthursts of Upleatham.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1654. The first book ending in 1694, is partly illegible from damp.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Guisbrough.
Not noticed in Torre's MS. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 151. Graves's Cleveland, page 377. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 267. Burton's Monasticon, page 353.
*1 Oftentimes written in ancient records Up-hum, and in Domesday Book, Upelider.
*2 A grant has been made by the Society towards rebuilding the Church, which is to contain 50 additional free sittings.