Area, 780 acres. Balmer wapentake. -Population, 66 *2; Church-room, 200; Net value, £116. -This Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Mowbrays, and was given by Roger de Mowbray to the Hospital of St. Leonard, York, and at the Dissolution the patronage came to the Crown.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £5; Nova Tax, £2; in the King's books, at £4. 19s.; Synodals and Procurations, 7s. 8d. *3; and in 1818, at £105. 13s. 2d. per annum.
Augmented in 1778, with £200, and in 1807, with £200, -both by lot.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1642.
Post town: York.
Torre's MS., page 413. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 15.
*1 Or Over Helmsley.
*2 In 1834, the population was returned at 56.
*3 The Valor Eccl. specifies tithes, mansion, and glebe land. -page 98. col. 1.