Area, 3,260 acres. Hallikeld and Allertonshire wapentakes. -Population, 730 *1; Church-room, 450; Net value, £981.
The Marmions were Lords of the manor for a long while, and patrons of the Church.
Patron, the Marquis of Ailesbury.
Valued in the King's Books, at £17. 17s. 1d.
There was a Chantry here at the altar of St. John Baptist.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1565.
The Free School. Founded by the Rev. Peter Samwaies, D.D., Rector of Wath and Bedale, by deed, 2nd November 1790. The Schoolmaster is required to teach gratuitously all the male children of the parishioners who are seven years of age. About forty boys are taught reading, writing, and accounts, and instruction in Latin is given when required. Endowment ; schoolhouse, garden, and stable, forty-five acres of land, and rent charge of £5 per annum.
Dr. Samwaies' Almshouse. Rooms for two persons, and interest of £60.
Dr. Samwaies' rent charge, £10 per annum, in sums from 12s. to £1.
The Rev. Stephen Penton's charity. Rent of house and four acres of land, for paying medical and surgical attendance for the poor ; £60 in hand from the sale of timber, was on the point of being invested at the time of the Report.
Rent charge, 10s. per annum, for Melmerby poor. -Vide 4th Report, page 410.
Torre's MS., page 1557. Nonae Roll, page 237. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Wat. Wade), pages 115. 150. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 181. Bodleian MSS., No. 5101.
*1 Viz. Melmerby, 338; Middleton Quernhow, 123 ; Wath, 196 ; Norton Conyers, 73.
NORTON CONYERS. -There was a Chapel here dedicated to the honour of St. Cuthbert, in which was a Chantry for the soul of Richard Norton, late Chief Justice of England, in 1414.