GENUKI Home page    Welbury Welbury  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: WELBURY.     Church dedication: ST. LEONARD.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 2,020 acres. Birdforth wapentake, -Population, 233; Church-room, 100; Net value, £360. -This Church, with two oxgangs of land and a mansion, is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of Walter Ingelram, by whom it was given to the Priory of Guisbrough, and a pension was ordained in 1242 to be paid to the Vicar by the Prior and Convent.

Patron, the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £13. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £8. 6s. 8d.; and in the King's Books, at £7. 2s. 10d. per annum ; Synodals and Procurations, 9s. 6d.; and pension of £1. 6s. 6d. to the Prior of Gisburn *1.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1682.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Northallerton.


References:
Torre's MS., page 17. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 131. Nonae Rolls, page 232. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Welleburge), pages 27. 234.


Notes:
*1 The Valor Ecc. specifies the tithe, mansion, and glebe land. -Page 89. col. 1.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016