Genuki Logo    West Tanfield West Tanfield  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: WEST TANFIELD.     Church dedication: ST. NICHOLAS.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 3,070 acres. Hallikeld wapentake. -Population, 693; Church-room, 280; Net value, 416. -The Church is an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Marmions, (some of whom are entombed here) and afterwards came to the Lords Fitz Hugh.

Patron, the Marquis of Ailesbury. Valued in the King's Books, at 13. 0s. 5d.

An Inclosure Act was passed 33rd Geo. III.

Here was a Chantry founded by Maud, wife of the last John, Lord Marmion, consisting of a warden and three Priests, to pray for her soul and also for the souls of her husband and Robert her son.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1653.

Charities:
Wilson and Beckwith's, by deed, 5th May 1614, and 18th Jan. 1709. Rent of 14a. 0r. 18p.; 4 given among four widows, residue in bread at Christmas and Midsummer. In lieu of bread, the rent is now divided among ten poor widows.

Francis Allen's gift, 1737. 20s. per annum.

Rev. John Moore's gift, 1743. Interest of 10.

Rev. Charles Francis's gift, 1784. Interest of 20.

Catherine Allen's gift, in 1769. Interest of 30, for teaching three poor children.

The School. 8 per annum paid by the Earl of Ailesbury. It does not appear how this stipend was granted. Free for one child of each of the Earl's tenants in the parish. A manuscript book was produced to the Commissioners, containing the following entry, " Tanfield school was founded by Diana, Countess of Oxford, free for the children of the tenants of the Earl of Ailesbury. The salary of the master was 25 per annum ; she likewise gave 15 per annum to apprentice three poor boys annually out of the parish. The said sum of 40 a year was charged on the lands of the Hall Garth for ever, but except 8 a year, which is still paid to the schoolmaster, that, and 40s. a year, called the Lady's Dole, to the poor, were discontinued by the late Earl of Ailesbury, then Lord Bruce, in or about the year 1725". -Vide 5th Report, page 648.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1601. Nonae Roll, page 237. Bodleian MSS. No. 5101. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Tanefeld), pages 92., 114. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 165. Hargrove's Knaresbrough, page 257.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014