GENUKI Home page    Whitby Whitby  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: WHITBY.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 14,620 acres. Whitby Strand and East Langbarugh liberties *2. Population, 11,725 *3; Church-room, 2,200 *4; Net value, 206. -This Church was given by William de Percy to the Abbey of Whitby, to which it was appropriated, but no Vicarage ordained therein.

The Patronage is in the Archbishop of York, it having been given to the See by King Henry VIII.

Mr. Young gives a catalogue of the Curates.

The Church with its Chapel is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at 33. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, 20; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 24, it is stated, " The Rectory belongs to the Archbishop;" and in 1818, the Curacy was certified at 50 per annum *5.

Augmented in 1819, with 600 from the Parliamentary Grant -by lot ; in 1823, with 300 from the same Grant, to meet benefaction of 200 from the Archbishop of York ; in 1826, with 300 and 300, to meet benefactions of 354. 12s. 6d., a subscription, and 45. 7s. 6d. from Edward, Archbishop of York ; and in 1834, with 200 and 200 from the same grant, to meet benefaction of a stipend of 30 per annum from Edward, Lord Archbishop of York.

7th June 1744, a faculty was granted to erect a perpendicular grave stone in the Church yard, to the memory of William Thompson, deceased.

12th November 1757, faculty to erect a gallery.

7th November 1763, faculty to erect a gallery.

15th April 1818, faculty to enlarge galleries.

21st February 1801, faculty to build a gallery and enlarge another.

An Inclosure Act was passed 53rd Geo. III. (Dunsley Moor.)

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1608 ; several chasms, 1642, &c.

Charities:
TOWNSHIP OF WHITBY. -Tenements for the Poor. William Pearson in 1722, gave two homes to the poor. John Pearson in 1770, gave two tenements in the New Way for the use of the poor ; and Margery Boyes in 1723, gave one house for two poor widows, and also another house for other two widows. -All now occupied by poor people rent free.

Margery Boyes's charity in 1723. 6 per annum to put four poor children to trades, and 3. 4s. per annum to put eight poor children to school.

Adam Boulby's tenements, by deeds, dated 20th April 1747, 23rd May 1748, and 4th May 1772. Two houses and six cottages, to be occupied by poor seamen or seamen's widows.

Benjamin Hunter's charity in 1789. Interest of 100, to be annually expended in clothing four poor fatherless boys, sons of seamen, when put apprentice, being thirteen years old.

William Rymer's charity, by will, in 1808. Dividends on 100. Navy Fives, given in coals among superannuated seamen or seamen's widows, not exceeding one bushel each.

Merchant Seamen's Fund. -This is a branch of the general institutions established and regulated by the statute of the 20th Geo. II. cap. 38, and is under the direction of fifteen trustees chosen by the owners and masters of ships belonging to the port ; 6d. a month is collected out of the wages of every seaman. At the time of the Report there was a balance invested in the funds consisting of 2,300 three per cent. consols. There are forty houses in Whitby built or purchased out of the funds, for the residence of aged seamen, their widows, and families.

The allowances are 3s. a month to the widow, and 2s. a month for each child of a seaman who has been killed, slain, or drowned in the merchants' service.

Leonard Wilde's charity, by will, dated 17th March 1732. For the support of a dissenting congregation, amount not stated ; also 5. 8s. per annum to the poor of such congregation.

Joanna Rickwood's gift, by will in 1816. Interest of 100 to the poor of the New Presbyterian or Associate Congregation.

TOWNSHIP OF RUSWARP.

Rents-charge for the Poor, -donors unknown. 2, 1, and 12s. per annum.

TOWNSHIP OF HAWSKER CUM STAINIKER.

Poor's Land, two acres. Rent added to the poor's rate.

TOWNSHIP OF NEWBY CUM DUNSLEY.

Francis Mead's rent charge of 1 per annum, by will, dated in 1780. For the poor. -Vide 7th Report, page 757.

A post town.


References:
Torre's MS., page 155. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 157. Nonae Rolls, page 231. Charlton's Whitby. Young's Whitby. Mon. Angl., vol. i. pages 405-421. Burton's Monasticon, pages 12. 54. 56. 67, 68, 69. 72. 78. 86. Valor Ecc., vol. iii. page 80. Prickett's Bridlington, pages 7-18. Gent's History of Hull. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 310. Gentleman's Magazine, vol. lxxix. page 513.


Notes:
*1 Formerly called Streoneshalh. There were formerly Chapels at Dunsley and Harsley.

*2 The parish of Whitby extends into Langbarugh liberty, and it is stated in the return of Whitby township, that a small decrease of Population has taken place, owing to the partial decline of ship building and of the whale fishery, but not to the extent that would appear by comparison with the enumeration of 1821, (932 persons), because seamen employed in registered vessels were then included in the return, they are now, to the amount of 764, excluded. It is said that the townships of Hawsker, with Stain-siker and Ruswarp, are mostly within the limits of the township of Whitby, thereby making the Population of that town to exceed 10,000 persons.

*3 Eskdaleside, 277; Hawsker and Stainsiker, 654 ; Newholme with Dunsley, 347 ; Ruswarp, 1,980; Ugglebarnby, 426 ; Whitby, 7,765, and part of the township of Aislaby, 276. Mr. Young took the trouble of personally counting the inhabitants of Whitby in 1816, and found the Population of the town, including what may be called the suburbs, to be 10,203.

*4 600 additional sittings, (of which 300 are free) have been procured, towards which the Society made a grant of 300.

*5 For the value of the appropriation, vide Valor Ecc., vol. iii. page 80. There were unreported Decrees in the Exchequer in Hilary Term 28th Elizabeth, and in Easter Term, 36th Car. II. "The customary manner in which the impropriator of Whitby is entitled to the tithes of fish caught in Robin Hood's Bay. The Bishop of Norwich v. Granger." -2 Wood, page 540.


Other information:
ST. NINIANS. -(Parish of Whitby ) -This Church has been long demolished. Its history is very obscure, and there was also another Chapel on the east side of the Esk.

PROPRIETARY CHAPEL. -This was opened in October 1778. The author has not been able to obtain any account of this Chapel beyond what appears in Mr. Young's work, vol. ii. page 617.

ABBEY. -The Abbey of Whitby was founded by St. Hilda in 657 ; destroyed by the Danes in 867, and continued waste for more than two hundred years. Refounded by William de Percy. St. Hilda was born in the year 614, and was baptised at York by Paulinus, along with King Edwin her great uncle in 627, and she died Abbess of Whitby in 680.

Mon. Angl., vol. i. page 405.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014