Area, 6,830 acres. Langbarugh liberty, W.D. -Population, 772 *2; Church-room, sufficient ; Net value, £84. This Church or Chapel, in which was a Chantry, was formerly in the parish of Hutton Rudby, and is said to have been given therewith by Stephen Meynell, to the Prior and Convent of Guisbrough, for a Cell at Scarth, within this parish, but a doubt exists whether the grant ever took place.
The patronage was in the Careys for many years, but was afterwards sold to Edward Wolley, Esq. In 1816, George Sutton, Esq., nominated.
Present patron and impropriator, the Marquis of Ailesbury.
The Chapel is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £6. 13s. 4d.; in 1707, the Curacy was certified at £13. 10s.; and in 1818, at £52. 9s. per annum.
Augmented in 1767, with £200; in 1787, with £200; in 1793, with £200; and in 1815, with £1,000, from the Parliamentary Grant-all by lot.
There was a castle here, and the Church was anciently called the free Chapel in the Castle of Whorlton.
Mr. Graves gives a catalogue of the Curates, and also a plate of the monument of Sir Stephen Meynell, and a view of the ruins of the castle.
Mr. Graves gives the pedigree of the Meynells of Whorlton Castle.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1689.
TOWNSHIP OF POTTO. -Simpson's rent charge. 10s. per annum distributed among poor widows.
Lost Charities. Isabel Harker, by will, dated 31st December 1736, charged her lands and tenements in Swainby with an annual payment of 20s. towards teaching four poor children ; and she also gave a house, then in the possession of John Tronsdaile, to be a school house to teach scholars. The devise was void under the 9th Geo. II. cap. 36, but the house has been held by the parish since the death of the testatrix, and is used as a school house.
Healey's rent charge. £2. 12s. per annum, formerly paid by Mr. John Healey of Carleton, who held lands at Carleton and Brompton, which have been since sold, and the property sold has not been identified. -Vide 8th Report, page 749.
Post town: Stokesley.
Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 133. Nonae Rolls, page 232. Graves's Cleveland, page 136. Burton's Monasticon, pages 354. 357. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 276. Valor. Ecc., vol. page 91. Torre's MS., page 1671.
*1 In a petition presented in 1706 to Archbishop Sharp for a resident Minister, it is stated that the parish of Whorlton consists of six towns, viz. Whorlton, Huthwaite, Scarthwood, Swainby, Potto, and the greatest part of Faceby.
*2 Viz. Potto, 187; and Whorlton, 585. Faceby is separately returned.