Area, 2,040 acres. Bulmer wapentake. -Population, 359 ; Church-room, 200 *1 ; Net value, £297. -This Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the treasurer of the Church of York, and on the Dissolution of the Treasuriship the presentation came to the Crown.
11th July 1424, a commission was granted to the Bishop of Dromore, to dedicate the Church and churchyard.
Only an imperfect catalogue of the Rectors is given by Torre.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £6. 13s. 4d.; Nova Tax, £4; and in the King's books, at £14. 13s. 4d. per annum, after deducting 5s. to the treasurer.
An Inclosure Act was passed 9th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1691.
Poor and Town's Land.
Six acres. No documents to show when or how the property was acquired. The rent is applicable to the sustentation of a parish bull, and for other parish purposes.
Ancient benefactions. These, amounting together to £10. 10s., were formerly in the hands of the overseers, but the fund is no longer existing ; and it is supposed that it may have been laid out in the purchase of part of the poor's land.
Ann Nicholson's charity, by will, dated 14th April 1786. Dividends on £120 four per cents., distributed in bread to the poor attending divine service.
John Lund, by will, in 1806, added £25 to the above fund. -Vide 8th Report, page 723.
Post town: York.
Torre's MS., (Peculiars), page 591. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 64. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Wichistun), page 7. Nonae Rolls, page 236.
*1 In 1818, the return was 300.