Genuki Logo    Wykeham Wykeham  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: WYKEHAM.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Donative Curacy.

Area 6,480 acres. Pickering Lythe wapentake. -Population, 605 ; Church-room, 200 *1; Net value, 2. The Incumbent also receives a yearly sum from the patron, which is a voluntary payment. -This Church was given by Pain Fitz Osbert and three others, to the Nunnery of Wykeham, and was appropriated thereto, but no Vicarage was ordained therein, neither has it ever been augmented by Queen Anne's Bounty.

Patron and impropriator, the Hon. Marmaduke Langley.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at 10; the Rectory is valued in the King's Books at 7. 12s. 2d.; in 1707, the Cure was valued at 20; and in 1818, at 15 per annum.

Mr. Torre mentions a Chantry founded by John de Wykeham in this Church, in 1321.

An Inclosure Act was passed 25th Geo. III.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1653.

Charities:
Poor's Money. -Interest of two benefactions of 10 each, distributed in bread among four old women. -Vide 7th Report, page 749.

Post town: Malton.


References:
Torre's MS., page 209. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 100. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Wicham), pages IL 21, 22. 187. Burton's Monasticon, pages 77. 255. 257. Nonae Rolls, page 239. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 337. Mon. Angl., vol. v. page 669.


Notes:
*1 Estimated in 1818 at 230.


Other information:
THE PRIORY. -This was founded for Cistercian Nuns by Pain Fitz Osbert, about the year 1153.

Mon. Angl., vol. v. page 669.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014