GENUKI Home page    Barwick in Elmet Barwick in Elmet  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BARWICK IN ELMET.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 8,030 acres. Skirack wapentake, L.D. -Population, 1,922 *1; Church-room, 400 *2; Net value, 1,352. -The Church belonged to the patronage of the Barons Lacy, Earls of Lincoln, and from them, by the marriage of Alice de Lacy with Thomas Plantagenet, came to the Dukes of Lancaster. The patronage is now in the King, as Duke of Lancaster, and it is exercised by the Chancellor of the Duchy.

The Church of Barwick is valued in Pope Nicholas's Taxation at 30 and in the King's Books at 33. 12s. 4d. And in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 325, at 200 per annum. There is a pension of 1. 5s. payable thereout, to one of the Prebendaries of the Chapel at Pontefract Castle, and 2s. 8d. to the Archbishop for Synodals.

There was a Chantry in this Church.

The monks of Selby had lands here, which were confirmed to them by King Richard I.

An Act was passed in the 36th Geo. III. for inclosing the open fields and commons within the parish; another Act was passed in the 49th Geo. III. for rendering valid the proceedings of the Commissioners, but which last-mentioned Act is not printed.

There is a glebe house fit for residence.

There is a curious Saxon mound in this parish, called Wendel Hill. Dr. Whitaker supposes this to have been the work of Edwin, King of Northumberland.

Thoresby gives a catalogue of the Rectors, which is continued by Dr. Whitaker.

Charities:
John Riley, by will, dated 17th July, 19th Elizabeth, devised to the parson and churchwardens a messuage called the Creadle, on London Bridge, on condition that they should on every Sunday deliver to twelve poor parishioners one penny loaf and one penny in money. The premises were sold in 1765, and 300 were then laid out in the purchase of a close, called Mapplegate Flat, in the township of Barwick, the rent of which is applied according to the will, and the surplus distributed to the poor.

Naute's, and other benefactions. The sum of 40, being the amount of three benefactions given by persons named Naute, Dineley, and Ingle, was laid out in 1719, together with 240 belonging to the parishioners, in the purchase of copyhold land at Scholes. 40s. a year has uniformly been paid out of the rent, and distributed on St. Thomas's Day.

Doles. -Mary Thompson. 20s. per annum for poor widows of Barwick and Potterton, out of land at Potterton.

Mr. Barnby. 10s. per annum, for the poor of Scholes, Morrick, and Windmoor Side, out of a cottage and land at Scholes.

Robert Shore. 5s. for the poor of the outside of Barwick township, out of a house and land at Morrick. All distributed by the churchwardens and overseers.

School land. Rent of 10 acres, paid for teaching children nominated by the rector and churchwardens, reading, writing, and accounts. Free scholars, 14. -Vid. 15th Report, page 650.

The Parish Register commences in 1653.

Post town: Aberford.


References:
Torre's MS. page 145. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 96. Valor Ecc. vol. v. page . Ducat. Leod. page 233. Loidis et Elmete, page 152. Burton's Monast. page 390.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Barwick in Elmet, 1608; and Roundhay, 314. The townships of Barnboro', Kiddall with Potterton, and Norwick with Scoles, all of which in 1821 made separate returns, are now included in the return of the township of Barwick. Sixty-six men are employed in coalmines and quarries in these townships. In 1834, the Population was only returned at 1608, but which probably excluded Roundhay.

*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 500.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014