GENUKI Home page    Ecclesfield Ecclesfield  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BRADFIELD.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Area, vide Ecclesfield. Strafforth and Tickhill wapentake, N.D. -Population, 5,298, vide Ecclesfield ; Church-room, 750 *1; Net value, 186.

Patron, the Vicar of Ecclesfield.

Impropriators, Sir G. Sitwell and others.

Valued in 1707, at 24. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii;. page 427, it is stated to be " Four miles from Ecclesfield. About 300 families. To be made a parish Church."

Augmented in 1720, with 200, to meet benefactions of 200 from the Rev. Mr. Steer and others ; in 1769, with 200, to meet benefaction of 200 from the Rev. Harker Crook ; and in 1812, with 400, and in 1817 with 600, both from the Parliamentary grant, by lot.

" This is a parochial Chapel, in the parish of Ecclesfield, the Vicar whereof hath the third part of the tithes, and the four other impropriators have all the rest. Bradfield is under Ecclesfield, and the Vicar gives what he pleaseth unto the Curates of Bradfield." -Notitia Pa-rochialis, No. 299.

There were unreported decrees in the Exchequer, in Hilary Term, 34th Car. II.; in Hilary Term, 1st Jac. II.; and in Michaelmas Term, 9th Anne.

" There is a modus in this parish to pay a halfpenny for every lamb fallen, and sold after lambing time and before clipping time, in lieu of all the tithes thereof. Fox v. Shawe." 1 Wood, page 215.

Mr. Hunter, in his Hallamshire, page 270, gives a list of the Curates, and the inscriptions in the Chapel ; also the pedigrees of the Morewoods and Wilsons of Broomhead Hall.

The glebe house was returned, in 1818, as unfit for residence, on account of its smallness and decayed state. Archbishop Sharp gave 20 towards the erection of this house, and Mr. Mansel, then Vicar of Ecclesfield, gave 30, and Mr. Torre furnished a library ; and, in 1834, it was returned there was no glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1559.

20th July 1798, faculty granted to re-pew the Church.

Charities:
Feoffee Estate. 263a. 3r. 21p. of land and three houses. Proceeds appropriated, by decree of Commissioners of Charitable Uses, dated 27th September, 13th Jac. I., for repairs of the Chapel of Bradfield, and for payment of taxes, lays, fifteenths, relief of the poor, and other good and charitable purposes. Some property appears to have been sold about the year 1798, to defray the expense of re-pewing the Chapel, but the account-books had been destroyed by fire, through accident, as alleged. The Commissioners recommended an annual audit of accounts, and that such accounts should be submitted to public inspection.

Doles to the poor. -Rev. John Tyas's, by will, in 1578, 14s. per annum ; Rowland Morewood's, by will, in 1618, interest of 20 (not paid for many years) ; Dr. Morton's, in 1625, 10s. per annum out of the Spout House Estate ; Richard Gillott's, by will, dated 10th September 1640, interest of 10 to the poor of Westnall Bierley, and the interest of 10 to the poor of Waldershelf Bierley.

Anthony Worrall's gift, by will, dated 26th April 1760. 10s. per annum.

George Worrall's gift, about 1762. Interest of 11.

Richard Morton's gift, by will, dated 20th July 1667. Rent-charge of 20s. per annum.

Hodgkinson's gift, vide Bolsterstone School. 20s. per annum.

Hannah Hobson's gift, by will, dated 12th November 1806. Rent-charge of 20s., for poor widows. -Vide 19th Report, page 561.

Post town: Sheffield.


References:
Hunter's Hallamshire, page 268. Hunter's South Yorkshire, vol. ii. page 191. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. i. page 262.


Notes:
*1 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 850.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014