Genuki Logo    Leeds Leeds  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: FARNLEY IN LEEDS.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, vide Leeds. Leeds liberty. -Population, 1,591, vide Leeds; Chapel-room, 300; Net value, 204.

Patron, the Vicar of Leeds.

Impropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 359, the Chapelry is thus noticed: " Three miles from Leeds. Sixty families. Farnley, Armley, Bramley, and Wortley to be made one parish, and a church to be built in the centre, or most convenient place, for the whole."

Augmented in 1723 with 200 by lot; in 1737 with 200 to meet benefaction of 200 from Lady Elizabeth Hastings ; in 1753 with 200 to meet benefaction of 200 from the Rev. S. Kirshaw, Vicar of Leeds; in 1788 with 200 to meet benefaction of 200 from the Rev. John Swain; and in 1825 with 300 and 300 from the Parliamentary grant, to meet benefaction of 200 and 200 from the inhabitants.

There is a payment of 6 per annum made by the Crown ; it was formerly 10. 15s. 2d. and paid out of the Duchy of Lancaster.

A Chantry is named in the Valor Ecc. A licence to rebuild the Chapel was granted on the 4th May 1761.

Dr. Whitaker gives a catalogue of the Curates.

No glebe house.

The Register Books for baptisms and burials commence in 1772. Marriages are celebrated at the mother church.

Parochial Charities -No return.

Post town: Leeds.


References:
Torre's MS. page 273. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. i. page 106. Whitaker's Loidis et Elmete, page 105. Parsons's Leeds, &c. page 436.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014