GENUKI Home page    Little Ouseburn Little Ouseburn  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: LITTLE OUSEBURN.     Church dedication: HOLY TRINITY.     Church type: Peculiar. Augmented Vicarage in charge.

Area, 4,080 acres. Claro wapentake. -Population, 511 *2 ; Church-room, 550; Net value, 113.

In 1233, this Church was appropriated to the Precentorship of the Cathedral at York, by Archbishop Walter Gray, who had purchased it of the Abbot and Convent of Fountains, and a Vicarage was subsequently ordained therein.

Patron, the Precentor.

Valued in the King's Books at 3. 8s. 4d.

Inclosure Act 41st Geo. III.

Glebe house unfit.

The Register Books commence in 1564.

Charities:
Elizabeth Colson's, by deed, 10th April 1750. Rent of seven acres of land, three-fifths are paid to the Curate as an augmentation, and two-fifths to a schoolmaster for teaching three boys and two girls English.

Poor's Fund. Interest of 180, amount of sundry donations ; given partly in bread, and partly in money.

Richard Thompson's gift, by will, 27th October 1770. 40s. per annum.

Sundry rents-charge. These are six in number, and amount together to 4. 16s. per annum ; given in bread and money. -Vide 4th Report, page 428.


References:
Torre's MS., page 763, (concord as to tithes at Thorpe Underwood). Parliamentary Survey, vol. xviii. page 144. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Useburne), pages 36. 221. 234.


Notes:
*1 Or Ouseburn Parva.

*2 Viz. Little Ouseburn, 287 ; Kirby Hall, 50; Thorpe Underwood, 144; Widdington, 30. Returned in 1834 at 534.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014